Matrimonial Accounting Overview
All matrimonial actions start with a common goal: identify the total "marital estate."
BARR CPA LLC is frequently retained to help attorneys and their clients carefully analyze various financial documents in connection with a matrimonial matter. In many instances our involvement begins right at the start of the discovery process. These services commonly include:
- Analyzing personal and business tax returns
- Reviewing bank statements and brokerage accounts
- Assisting in client interviews and depositions
- Tracing assets to determine or refute separate property claims
- Searching for assets that may have been diverted or dissipated in anticipation of divorce
Forensic investigations are often needed to determine other financial issues when a couple divorces. These commonly include:
- Determining income available for spousal maintenance and child support
- Computing reasonable needs or living expenses
- Assist in the preparation of the Statement of Net Worth
- Valuation of business interests
- Enhanced earnings capacity calculations of degrees and licenses
BARR CPA's in-depth analysis of the financial issues in matrimonial matters is an essential component of the attorney's discovery process.
Key Issues In Matrimonial & Divorce Matters
- Determine the components & values of the marital estate.
- Analyze the income earned by the parties.
- Perform the required business valuation & forensic accounting services in order to obtain full disclosure.